Test Page

Tuesday 2 August 2011

An Olympic Triathlete

I over-heard my hubby telling my brother on the phone that I could blog about his triathlon and he could pretend to be mad about it (You know, because of his anti-blogging sentiment). So I guess I can take that as permission to both brag and poke fun at my hubby using this medium?? Its true, if you didn't hear already, my husband is an olympic triathlete. He completed the OSIM 2011 olympic triathlon this weekend with a time of 3 hr 17 min! This was a good 13 minutes under his goal. I would also like to point out that it was a very hot and windy day here in Singapore. This made the water choppy for the swim and the bike and run a bit like a competing in a convection oven. So a big pat on the back for a job well done!  

When I posted his success on facebook, I noticed that a lot of people were surprised and impressed at this athletic feat. What happened to the guy you knew, you wondered? You know, the wine-chugging, bad-food-consuming, fun-loving guy you all have a million stories about? I can write this because I think my husband would be happy to know that his reputation is still in tact at home. I would like to assure you, friends, that he is still the same guy just under a more brawny physique.

For example, before this race, my hubby tried to convince me that carbonara is a legitimate means for carbo-loading. Yes, the bacon, heavy cream, and egg yolk heart attack in a bowl.  I had to remind him about Michael Scott in the Office carbo-loading with alfredo before his race to cure rabies and how well that turned out. It briefly crossed my mind that this entire race might have been an excuse to allow him to make carbonara, since its consumption has been strictly regulated in the Covey household due to the fact that I insist he stick around to help me with the babies.  He did, on his own accord, NOT drink too much before this race. This was a lesson learned in a previous race, where in an internal battle between his fun-self and his athlete-self, Regis' fun-self won and he decided to over-indulge two days before his first sprint triathlon. Then he was surprised by how hard it was to do with a 2-day old hangover. Despite all the training he completed in preparation for this triathlon, he may very well tell you that NOT drinking before the race was the most helpful thing that he did. Finally, when I texted him to see how he was feeling the morning after the race, he messaged back: Really good! But I have also had 4 coffees this morning! I have never seen Regis use the exclamation point in writing ever, so I know the part about having so many coffees in a short amount of time was definitely true. So you see, he may have changed but he is still the same guy we all  know and love.
    Most importantly, a big congrats again to Regis!! 

    Here is Regis pre-race getting some last minute inspiration from his muse.

    1 comment: