Test Page

Tuesday 21 June 2011

My #1 Fan

Does it seem premature to be thanking my #1 fan in my first post?  I mean, how can I have a fan with no posts, you may wonder..

Well, my #1 fan and currently my ONLY follower is my hubby. Truth be told, I signed him up myself to follow me using his email address, although he was sitting right next to me at the time and didn't put up too much of a protest. He is against the idea of blogging in general.  To be fair, I don't think he actually knows what blogging is.  I mean, this anti-blogging sentiment is coming from the guy who refuses to get a Facebook page because he thinks that it is for perverts and pedophiles. (Don't ask. I don't. I find it easier on my sanity this way.). I am quite sure if it weren't for MLB.com and a handful of other sports sites, my husband would find no need for the internet all together. He only has an email address because his work requires him to have it, not to stay in touch with friends and family half a world away. Its true, you can ask his friends who haven't heard from him since 2007. A few months ago, in what I can only assume was a sleep-deprived, caffeine-induced, impulsive act completely out of character, my husband registered himself with Linked-In.  He then proceed to come home in genuine AMAZEMENT that the program had linked him to other people he knew.  He was so excited about these connections that I was surprised when he announced last night at dinner that he had "forgotten" to make contact with any of these people. As a final example of my husband's inability to grasp current technological trends (forgive my liberal use of the word 'current' here), he may also be the last person under 40 who still enjoys his news to be in print.  Yep. Black smudgy fingerprints, awkward paper folds and all.  

That being said, when I announced that I was going to start a blog, my husband became my first and most faithful supporter just like he always does if I'm interested in something. From the moment I met him, he has encouraged me to be me and pursue my dreams.  When the opportunity arose for me to take a job in Singapore, he got on board with enthusiasm, even when that meant quitting his job and becoming the 'trailing spouse'. He never complained once when, over and over, people assumed we had moved to Singapore for his job (since, gasp! who would think we would possibly move for a female's job?). Whenever things are tough for me, he is the first person to remind me that he thinks I'm fabulous--and who else's opinion matters anyway?? When our daughter arrived and my mommy-instinct of lavishing large amounts of attention and time on our offspring kicked in, my husband accepted this gracefully and without complaint. Now, when the weeks and months are flying by more quickly than I could have imagined with my daughter and the approach of baby #2 on the way, he has supported me in wanting to find balance and have time to spend with the babies while they are still babies.  But that is just the type of person my husband is.  I am lucky enough to have found him and smart enough to have married him. 

So, in answer to the above question: Nope, its not premature. Its been long over-due.  So this is my first post and attempt at blogging: a shout out to my #1 fan. 

1 comment: