Test Page

Thursday 30 June 2011

Cup o' Beans?

I recently stumbled across this post about a so-called 'sensory box' and how every toddler should have one. (See: http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2001/01/entertain-your-kids-and-get-stuff-done.html)  It looked messy fascinating to me so I thought I should give it a try. As a trial run, we just started with the biggest tuperware in the cupboard, and filled it with dried black and kidney beans and a few colorful rocks. Then we added a few smaller bowls, funnels, spoons, etc and whala! We have a sensory box. Admittedly, our isn't nearly as cute as the one posted above, although I would love to find trucks like those in the picture since Adrienne loves all things planes, trains, and automobiles.   

Adrienne did seem to think the whole thing was intriguing. She spent a good 45 minutes pouring beans from bowl to bowl and making little bean piles around the room. We also enjoyed an evening Cup o' Beans together, so at least our imagination is working.  I am happy that she is entertained by the whole thing, but not fully convinced yet that it will be worth the mess of finding 'presents' all around the house. I was trying to restrict the sensory box to the yellow rug, but you can tell how well that was working from the pictures. I am imagining beans in my shoes, my purse, under my pillow.... Actually, on second thought, I'm sure she can come up with WAY more creative places than these.  I'll let you know.         


1 comment:

  1. LOVE your blog, Tracy! So fun to stay connected and get a year-in-advance preview of what we have coming. I'm so excited about healthy baby boy on the way, hope you are feeling ok. Love, Felicia

    ReplyDelete