Test Page

Saturday 25 June 2011

Big Blue Slide

I took Adrienne to a nearby park this morning.  We hadn't been to this particular park for a few months because it is a bit of a trek to get there, but it was a beautiful morning and we were both feeling adventurous.  The last time that we went to this park, Adrienne and I had a blast going down the twin red slides (which I hope you can appreciate in the picture, are one easy flight of stairs up the jungle gym area).  Adrienne particularly likes the slides in this park because they are made of some type of plastic that reduces friction even in the Singapore heat and humidity.  So unlike other slides that stick to your sweaty skin and you practically have to scoot your way down them, you gain momentum on these and can truly appreciate the rush of the drop.  

Today I found out that the red slides were SO two months ago. Adrienne climbed up the first flight of stairs, only to look briefly and disdainfully at the red slides and continue up the stairs to the top of the blue slides.  Now, its still fresh in my mind about riding the red slides two months ago and how, as Adrienne gained momentum, her little tiny body flew straight off the end of the slide and she landed, luckily, on her bum in her padded washable diaper in the semi-soft sand.  Face-plant disaster diverted.  But this is a whole new ball game.  The blue slides are not only twice as long, but the angle of the slide is definitely at a more vertical angle.  Which, by my rough calculations, must mean that the momentum will not be doubled but quadrupled!  (OK, I do biochemistry, not physics, so don't ask about the equations).

Adrienne has already arrived to the top of the blue slides and immediately sits down ready to go, fearless as she tends to be.  And I am holding her from behind, mentally trying to weigh the odds between 'letting her have a little fun on the slides' and 'whats the worse that can happen' (Hmmm, just off the top of my head: broken bones, she can bite her tongue off, crack her head open, ahhhh!).  During the seconds (minutes?) that I am holding her at the top of the slide, she turns to me with a smile and says "Bye" and pushes at my hands.

Whats a mom to do?? So I do what I'm sure I will have to do a thousand times over: I let her go.

Down she flies, building speed and sure enough is launched off the end of the slide. To my horror, this time she lands face first in the sand at the bottom.  However, with just a little bit of cheering from me and the aid of a wet-nap, she picks herself up, dusts herself off, and is ready to go again--on the BLUE slide of course.  

I conquered the blue slides!

No comments:

Post a Comment