Test Page

Monday 10 October 2011

Those kids say the darnedest things!

We've all heard a million stories of 'those kids say the darnedest things!' Most of the time they cause you to shake your head and have a chuckle, relieved that it was not you that it happened to.  Well.  I really thought I had AT LEAST another 6 months before I could possibly be a victim to one of these situations. I mean, really, Adrienne is barely learning to talk so how could she possibly say the darnedest things? If her vocabulary is 50 words, she couldn't possibly embarrass you with that, right?

Now, if you are a parent, you will know that the first 50 words will most certainly include some form of all your bodily needs.  For example, Adrienne has night-night, water, eat......poopoo. Yes, we spend large amounts of time talking about poopoo, how poopoo should be done on the toilet, and how excited we are when this happens (And it happened TWICE the other day, thank-you very much!  We are making progress!).  The thing about Adrienne is that she doesn't really know the difference between passing gas and passing motion--its all poopoo to her. So if someone were to pass gas in our household, and I won't name names, Adrienne would likely point it out with a "Daddy Poopoo!" Opps, I guess I did just name names there; sorry about that, Hubby.  

So a few days ago Adrienne and I got on our elevator with an elderly Chinese lady who lives a few floors below us. The doors of the elevator had just closed when the lady let one rip. Loudly. Now I understand that these things happen more and more as you age and I was most certainly going to ignore it and pretend that it never happened. (Truthfully, I have an elevated sense of empathy towards this type of occurrence after going through pregnancy).  But I also knew what was most likely coming next and had no idea of how to prevent it from happening. It was completely silent on the elevator for a few glorious seconds, and then Adrienne started tugging at my hand and pointing at the lady, "Auntie Poopoo! Auntie Poopoo!". Adrienne seemed pleased with herself for properly identifying what had just happened. Plus she thinks that farts are pretty funny, further evidence that college frat boys and 2-yr olds have a similar sense of humor. However, I was mortified and the poor lady looked embarrassed and started mumbling something in Chinese. Mercifully the doors opened to her floor and we were saved from further awkwardness. 'We' being the auntie and myself. Adrienne thought the whole thing was exciting. After we got home, she ran in to tell Regis about "Auntie Poopoo dingdong!" (Dingdong being elevator, since that is the noise it makes when it arrives at your floor). I am really looking forward to more of these experiences as Adrienne's vocabulary increases.   


No comments:

Post a Comment