Test Page

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Mommy's Little Helper

I recently attended a chocolate-lovers baking class with a friend of mine. Following 2 hours of chocolate tasting and demonstrations, a sugar-induced high enticed me into purchasing enough unsalted butter and chocolates to bake for a small army. In an effort to start using these items, I decided Sunday afternoon would be a good time to make cookies. Despite my best intentions in the kitchen, I am incredibly lazy when it comes to cooking. Thus wanting to avoid a Sunday afternoon trip to the crowded grocery store, I had to invest some time googling for a white-chocolate chip cookie recipe for which I had all the ingredients on hand (I did not have macadamia nuts, oatmeal, or cranberries, all of which are generally agreeable to being paired with white chocolate). Anyway, I finally found this unusual recipe for white chocolate lemon cookies and decided to give it a go. 

Now to get started baking, I did what any good mother would do and popped in an episode of My Little Ponies to occupy my daughter. What? You don't do this? Well, as is turned out, My Little Ponies has nothing on powdery sweet substances that are ripe for the mixing. So mere minutes after starting this baking project, I had myself a little helper. And by little helper, I mean one who helps very little. Perhaps I could go so far to say the anti-helper, the inhibitor? Well, call it what you may but a rose by any other name, right? First my helper wanted to mix the dry-ingredients. That was so fun that she kept trying to sneak more of everything into the bowl. And by 'into the bowl', I mean all over herself. She also spilled half a cup of sugar across the entire kitchen (and just as I thought we were getting that ant problem under control!). She also managed to eat half the bowl of my lemon zest before I could stop her (weird, right?). And finally my little inhibitor cries at the sound of the mixer, which meant that all of the mixing had to be done manually. Once we got all most of the ingredients into dough form, I assigned Adrienne the task of doing the dishes. This may have been the best part for her. Permission to get all wet and soapy? Yes please! Getting the actual dishes done? Not so much... 

I would really like to blame Adrienne for the way my sad little cookies came out--very flat and crumbly. But lets be honest here, my cookies rarely come out looking picture perfect even under the best of circumstances. On the upside, they actually taste pretty good. Even my husband liked them and he is not really a fruit-in-my-dessert type guy. You know who wouldn't try these cookies? That's right, the inhibitor refused to try the finished product. I kept trying to shove cookies in her mouth and she was refusing! Cookies! This makes me wonder about two things: 1. Is she really my off-spring? and 2. If so, what does she know about those cookies that I don't know?? 





No comments:

Post a Comment