Test Page

Wednesday 13 July 2011

We Always Need our Moms

I have this fear that Adrienne will not need me one day.  In some ways, its crazy, right?  I mean, she is only 20 months old.  Her entire world still revolves around me and Regis.  She literally couldn't even get out of bed in the morning if it weren't for us.  But in other ways, its the inevitable.  Someday, in the not too distant future, she will not need me to get her out of bed, to feed her, to wipe her bum. These things, I suppose these will be good milestones of independence and I will cheer her.  But the ones that terrify me are when she will no longer want to hold my hand and show me things, when she will not think its exciting to see me walk in the door, when she will no longer want to tell me things because she has her own friends, or, god forbid, when she wants to move half a world away from me where I can only see her on rare occasions. These are the things that make me want to freeze time. Why does it have to go so quickly?

Yet, when I think of my own mom, I do not think that I have or ever will reach an age where I do not need her. Of course its a need that is ever changing. She doesn't have to feed me or clothe me or (FINALLY!) pay my bills anymore.....well, usually, anyway. I mean, I admit that nothing beats a home-cooked meal by mom....and I did get a package with some clothes in it just this week from mom...and my mom still has to write checks for certain bills for me (although I do put money into the account first, so not the same as before). This is my point exactly! You always need your mom. No one is ever too old for a mother's love, advice, and shoulder to cry on.     

Adrienne does this funny thing when she wants my assistance. She throws out her arm behind her and opens and closes her hand real fast in that 'give me' gesture. She doesn't even look at me; she just stands there doing that, knowing I will come take her hand and accompany her in the next thing she is interested in. In a more figurative way, this is what my mom has been doing all my life.  Standing behind me, holding my hand and supporting me in my next step. It makes me happy that Adrienne knows I will come for her hand and I hope that she knows, like I know about my mom, that I will always be there behind her.   

Most importantly for today, a big Happy 60th Birthday to my mom!  I love you very much.   

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tracy! I really appreciate you and all you have become. You are a wonderful Mother and Wife and person in general. I am so proud of you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brings a tear to my eyes. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete