Test Page

Thursday 28 July 2011

He Who Nose Best

We had our 25 week check up yesterday. Everything looks good. Baby boy is growing and kicking and has a steady heartbeat. He weighs in at 800g, which probably means nothing to most of you but I have finally learned after 4 years in Singapore that it's around 2 lbs.  I won't tell you what I am weighing in at (especially after my sweet week last week), I am a lady after all. Our shy guy finally decided to show his face yesterday, long enough for our OB to take a 3D picture. So proof that he has more than just fingers and toes (since my mom and sister weren't seeing anything in my last ultrasound photos).

Anyway, I sort of have mixed feelings about these 3D ultrasound pictures.  I mean, for one, every single one I have seen looks THE SAME. Of course they are all neonates in a black and white reconstructed picture from sound waves, so what can you really expect? For all I know, the Dr could have a generic 3D baby picture on his computer and just prints out the same photo for each patient that walks through his door. Also, if you are like most expecting moms, you start staring at the picture for too long, trying to see your future son in the picture and wondering why it's not invoking the appropriate feelings of love and adoration towards this little face.  And worse, you may start thinking, gosh, that is an awfully big nose...  I hope he is not ugly.  Is it possible to have that big of a nose and not be ugly? Then you chide yourself for being so vain. But later you might start staring at old men with big bulbous noses on the train and try to picture these noses on a newborn, and then you feel guilty because the image is horrible and you know that you should love your big-beaked neonate unconditionally and think he is handsome, even if he does have a face that only a mother could love. You would be that mother, right??  And it might even drive you to go digging through all of your daughter's birth forms and medical records until you find her 3D ultrasound picture so you can compare your daughter's nose to your son's nose.  At which point you might breathe a big sigh of relief, because sure enough your daughter had a huge honker on her too while in the womb but she came out with the most perfect and proportional little nose you had ever seen. So you are confident that your son is going to be absolutely adorable too....hopefully.

What?
Are you trying to tell me that's not the typical mother's response to these pictures?
Oh....well....that's not how I responded either... 

Here's the picture of our little man.  We are looking forward to meeting you, no matter what your nose looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment