Test Page

Monday 25 July 2011

Gettin' my Betty Crocker on

I have always enjoyed baking but don't often find the time nor am I particularly good at it. This week, however, I did some serious baking. I'm not sure what inspired this sugarfied productivity kick; maybe it's a by-product of the nesting syndrome that I have been experiencing lately? No matter.  Its a sweet reward for those around me.

I first decided to attempt to make the Almond Mixed Berry Cake recipe that my aunt sent me (Thanks, Jan!). We had a discussion in Europe about how much we like almonds and berries, so this recipe seemed like a genius combination.  Plus I had a tube of marzipan in my freezer that was in mortal danger of getting the ax the next time my hubby went on a freezer cleaning streak. (Regis is afraid of the freezer.  We may have to save that phobia for a separate blog.) I did have to make some minor adjustments to this recipe, since the key berries were blueberries and raspberries. Unfortunately I could find neither of these berries (fresh or frozen) at the store that day, so strawberries it was! Since I was using a tube of marzipan instead of almond paste, I reduced the sugar to 1/3. I also inadvertently added too much flour, which I wouldn't do the next time. Anyway, even with my alterations, this cake is nice and I would recommend it with coffee.  (recipe at bottom of page)


Next up was peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.  This was because my husband thought I was in the kitchen making cookies one night when I was actually just preparing lunch for the next day.  But once he put the idea in my head, I just HAD to have some cookies.  I originally just planned to make plain peanut butter cookies.  Because they are more healthy, right?  I mean, all that protein from the peanuts? But then I found a half-full bag of mini-dark chocolate chips in the back of the fridge and they just really seemed like they wanted to be together. (Its almost like a reverse Reeses peanut butter cup, and we LOVE Reeses.)


Then we rounded out the week with Martha Stewart's key lime pie bars with Graham Cracker crust.  Except, of course, we don't get key limes here in Singapore. But we do get Malaysian limes, which are small and tangy and must be very similar to the key lime.  So it was Malaysian Lime Pie Bars, if you want to get technical. Anyway, these were made to bring to a wedding shower for our friends (Congrats Sharon and John!).  I actually don't even know if our bride and groom like key lime pie, but I can tell you that I am pregnant and it sounded delicious to me. Everybody knows you don't mess with a pregnant lady, and I figured I should take advantage of it. I would highly recommend giving this recipe a try if you are a fan of key lime.  It was so easy and really good.  Also, you really can't put a price on Graham Cracker crust because its SO yummy...but I would like to inform you that one measly box of Graham Crackers costs $10 in Singapore. Sorry, Adrienne, that will be the last of the Graham crackers that you get to enjoy while we live here. 


Now as I am writing this up with my belly up to the edge of the table, I am starting to have baker's remorse. Because, you see, this week brings with it my monthly check up at the OB. After this saccharine spree, I am really NOT looking forward to getting on the scale at the doctor's office. However, I do hope your week was equally full of good things!   


Mixed Berry Cake
9" spring-form pan
350 degree oven
50 to 55 minutes or until done

One 7 oz tube of almond paste (grated)
1 C. sugar
1 stick plus 2T. butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 3/4 C. flour
1 1/2t.baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 C. mixed blueberries and raspberries
3 T. sliced almonds
 
Mix  almond paste, sugar and butter and beat til smooth.  Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each egg.  Beat on high 3".
Add flour that has been combined with the baking powder and salt and mix til combined.
Put about 2 1/4 cups of the batter in the pan.  (The dough is quite stiff)
Sprinkle the berries over the dough and top with the remaining batter.  Sprinkle top with the sliced almonds and bake.
Dust with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment