Test Page

Sunday 20 May 2012

When worlds collide

It doesn't take long to realize that you and your 2-yr old are living in separate yet intersecting worlds. I come to this conclusion daily (hourly, sometimes!) with Adrienne. We live in our own worlds, co-habitating harmoniously, even joyfully most of the time. Of course, every now and again our worlds collide in the most annoying or frustrating way. Like, for example, when my world is trying to get Adrienne dressed and out the door to be somewhere on time and in her world she is trying to escape the old troll, running around the house and peeling off the clothes I just wrestled on her. Or when her world is having a toy party on the floor at the exact moment my world is trying to organize. And how come, always, the second I sit down to eat my dinner, it's time to go "big poo poo" in her world?? But these are mere cultural differences, I suppose, of living in two separate worlds. On a day-to-day basis, glimpses into her world both amuse and amaze me. I love the innocence, the trust, the imagination of her world.She reminds me of simpler times, of pleasure in the little moments, of happy play. In her world, Bear-Bear is both her baby and her trusted confidant. In her world, toys must be continually paired side-by-side with other toys because, obviously, they are best friends. In her world, Rolly-polly bugs walk across the sidewalk to go to work and all beetles are named Alexander Beetle. In her world, everything comes in 4 sizes: a daddy size, a mommy size, an Adrienne size, and a baby Nate size. In her world, putting on a pair of wings means that she is a beautiful butterfly that goes buzz, buzz, buzz through the yard on a nice day. I am so grateful to get to be an observant bystander to this beautiful world of hers. 








 

2 comments:

  1. I am also thrilled to watch as Adrienne grows and learns about the world of nature thru the animals and birds in our backyard. Discovering a tiny frog in our garage, to the rooster pheasant that visits the bird feeders, to the deer that wander through the yard and to the neighbors cows that can wake us up to the mooing in the mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to look at things. I think the moments that frustrate me in mommy-hood will look a little different now.

    ReplyDelete