Test Page

Saturday 11 August 2012

Back To Work

         You haven't seen me around here the past 2 weeks. Um, ya, we do still have the wireless internet and it is awesome. But following that we got a TV. Which just happened to coincide with the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. To be honest, I wasn't even really looking forward to the Olympics. Maybe it was not having TV for 5 weeks but I seem to get sucked into the Olympic coverage every night. I like the competitions and all but I really watch for all the moving athlete stories and sentimental commercials. I'm totally one of those suckers. Anyway, I can't wait for the closing ceremonies so I can have my nights back. I mean, Adrienne had to sleep in her T-shirt tonight since there are no clean jammies left in the house.
         But Olympics and laundry-accumulation aren't the only thing going on around here. Last week, I had to go back to work. I have had the pleasure of being off work for the past nine months, with the added blessing of knowing I had a great job down the road. This means that I could really enjoy my time off without stressing about what the future holds, when the next paycheck is coming, how we are going to afford healthcare, etc... But because of this job-certainty luxury, I was looking forward to the start of work with both excitement and dread. Much like it was going back to school after a fabulous summer--you are excited to see your friends again and all the events that happen during the year, but it also means that summer is OVER. Of course, now things are further complicated by the mommy guilt with going back to work. Can I work and still be a good mom? Will I have enough time for my kids? Will I miss all their major milestones? Am I going to miss all the kissing boo-boos and giving big hugs and celebrating their achievements? 
         But regardless of fears or excitement or uncertainty, time marches on and thus my first day came as they always do. To be honest, the first day was glorious. I woke up before both the kiddos, showered, ate breakfast, drank coffee, and waited for them to wake up. They woke up with smiling faces and playful moods. I gave them breakfast and Adrienne told me funny stories while Nate beamed at me with his gummy little smile. Finally, they all marched me out the door (on time!) and waved and blew kisses as I headed off on my 13-minute walking commute to work. Then I sat in my quiet little office for the day, amazed at all you can do when you don't have 2 babes vying for your constant attention. I ate my lunch, which didn't have little hand-prints pressed all over it, and I was able to actually chew the food, rather than inhaling it. I got real work done. The day was fabulous. I walked home after work, happy, mentally patting myself on the back because we can totally do this. 
          As you might have guessed, the second day of work was nothing like that. Nor was the third. Or any of the others since that first wonderful day. No matter what time I set my alarm for, the kids set their little internal clocks for at least 15 minutes before mine so as to ensure that I can't even shower in peace. In addition, every morning since that first included some combination of the following: tears, tantrums, potty accidents, blow-out poops, spilled milk, lost toys, incessant needing to be carried, wiping snot on my work shirt, spit up, and a cut foot. I'm not sure if this is a joint effort between the kids to make me feel bad about leaving or an effort to help me feel good about running out the door to enjoy my quiet little office. The latter might be working better. 
         But all jokes aside, my first weeks went well and the kids haven't forgotten my name yet. I'm still their favorite around here (at least once I'm home, anyway). Because our house is so close to work, we've still had some time to do some fun things in the evenings--so it's not all work and no play. Besides, I don't need to feel too bad about not being around during the day. Adrienne tells me she is a big girl and has things under control. And it must be true. She was the one with a cut foot one morning. When I tried to give her a kiss to make it better, she told me, "No thanks, Mommy, I'll just get a bandaid." So it looks like it was a good thing I found another job because I was becoming redundant at home anyway.
          In other news, the rain has subsided around here so we have been enjoying the water in other ways.










No comments:

Post a Comment