Test Page

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Nate's Baptism

            One of the most important things we have done since we got home was baptize our son. Ever since Nate was born, I have been thinking about when and where to do the baptism. With Adrienne, we chose to baptize her in Singapore during my parents visit. It was a lovely day but we were sorry that so much of our family was unable to be there. I really wanted more family to be present at Nate's baptism but didn't want to wait for the undetermined time that we move back stateside. Fortuitously, once we decided to come home for a visit, it seemed the obvious time to welcome Nate to the fold. 
           Thanks to the coordinating efforts of Regis' sister and likely many years of generous donations from Regis' parents, we were able to plan a baptism at the church where Regis was baptized oh so long ago: St. Raymond's Catholic Church in Mt. Prospect. Nate wore the baptism gown that I wore to my baptism oh so many years ago (and which my siblings and Adrienne also wore, made from my mother's wedding gown). I really liked the way this turned out-- historic and symbolic and familial, like baptism itself. The sacrament of baptism itself was very special. This was due in part, oddly enough, to the Superbowl. As it turns out, not very many people like to spend Superbowl Sunday at the church baptizing their babies. This meant that we had a solo-baptism and allowed it to be more personal to Nate and our family. Miracle upon miracle, Nate was just a little angel through the nearly hour-long ceremony (Isn't there an unwritten rule that babies should cry loudly during their baptism? No? Oh. I guess Adrienne didn't get the memo for hers). Nate slept through the entire thing--from kisses and crosses from everyone, through the washing with water, to the anointing with oil--an absolute angel, I tell you. 
          But the best part, truly, was to be able to share this day with so many family and friends. Although we have gained much as well, there are so many things that I feel we have missed out on living abroad. In particular, having kids abroad. I had always imagined having kids much like the movies, with family members pacing the hospital halls, pink or blue balloons, and cigars to welcome the new baby. For our kids, it was just us. Don't get me wrong, it was powerful and intimate, but we are part of a larger family that could only celebrate in spirit. That is why I found this occasion very special. As Ignatius was welcomed into the Church, we could celebrate this birth with our  larger community of family and friends. So a heartfelt thank-you to all of you who were able to be with us and make this day extra special for us. 






No comments:

Post a Comment